Thursday, August 19, 2010

Let's Crack One!

During the market crash in 2010, I was selling foreclosures for Wells Fargo and doing quite a few short sales in the Palm Beach area.  I had a team of three agents and our job was all about volume, not price.

I listed a short sale in West Palm Beach, and my licensed assistant Cecilia, was supposed to show it one afternoon.   I don’t recall exactly what she said to me, but I decided to go in her place.

It was a hot summer day and I was waiting inside the house for the buyer to show up.  I heard a knock at the door, but there was no car in the driveway.   I opened the door to find a very sketchy latino guy completely soaked with sweat.  He immediately said “where’s Cecilia.”   I paused and could feel my blood start to boil.  I was thinking what if this was Cecilia at the door.  I replied “I’m Cecilia, can I help you… and by the way, where’s your car?”   He replied, “it’s down the street.”  I walked outside and I could feel my anger growing as we talked.   I was really looking him over for a gun or knife.   

I decided to let him in the house to see what his game was all about.  I always stayed behind him as we walked down hallways and I waited by the door of each bedroom.  I found it odd that he immediately went to the window in each room and nervously looked around outside.   At one point I asked, “are you looking for someone” and he replied “no.”  I played with my phone and turned it on video mode.  I shot a really good video of him because I could feel trouble brewing.

He went to the same area of the kitchen three different times and was staring into the side of the cabinet.   There was a butcher block table in the center of the kitchen and I kept my distance on the other side of it.

I realized there was a block of knives on the counter directly in front of him.   It was apparent this guy was considering pulling a knife on me!  

Luckily, the owner had an antique metal wine opener sitting on the butcher block table in front of me.  I wrapped my hand around the wine opener and waited for him to make a move.

We locked eyes on the third kitchen visit and there was a long silent pause as we stared at each other.   I finally broke the silence and said “it’s time for you to leave” and he replied “yes, you’re right."  He walked out the door. 

I can’t imagine what could have happened to Cecilia if she showed this house.  When I showed her the video, that marked the end of her Palm Beach real estate career and she took over the paper side of my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment